Old April 22nd 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Spyke Spyke is offline

Default Southern doors problem and the CIS as well!!

In message , Jack Taylor
writes

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:43:16 GMT, Jack Taylor wrote:

Disability Discrimination Act. Farcical, isn't it?

No.

Yes it is when a much larger majority of people are inconvenienced on their
journey on the spurious excuse that a disabled person *may* want to travel
and *may* be disadvantaged if PIS or PA systems are out of action. The
responsible and sensible thing to do is to allow the train to continue until
such point as a replacement set can be found to take over the diagram, not
to take the set out of service at the first opportunity.

As someone who is visually impaired (and therefore someone for whom
these rules are supposed to be a benefit) I'd have to agree.
I'd much rather have a train with no PA and put up with that fact, than
no train at all. After all, disabled people aren't necessarily stupid
and will find another way of getting the information. Contrary to
popular belief, the British public aren't all *******s, and a polite
request to a fellow passenger to tell you which station or let you know
when you've reached X will often do the job (and unlike some
auto-announcers, you might actually get the right answer).

However, this shouldn't be an excuse for letting a train go for weeks
without fixing the PA, obviously it should be fixed as soon as
practically possible without disrupting the service.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. Replace the bit before the