Old April 26th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default London Uderground Song

"Brimstone" wrote in message
Chris! wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
Chris! wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
2. "The transport museum is being closed for refurbishment for 18
months, yet rather than redeploy the staff and use their talents
elsewhere in the organisation they are making them redundant."

They expect a whole musuem worth of staff to be found jobs within
TFL? Where does the sudden influx of jobs come from? Why should I,
a taxpayer, fund extra people to do something that didn't need doing
before.

How many people work at the museum and how many of them are being
made redundant?

The RMT ommits the important facts from its website... One assumes
from the quote that they are all being made redundant

So you don't know how many people work there and you don't know how many
of
this unknown figure are losing thir jobs yet you feel qualified to
complain
about "a whole museum worth of staff to be found jobs"?

What about when the mueum reopens, how much will have to be spent on
training and equipping the new people, it is not possible that with
redundacy
payments and the costs associated with hiring new people that it might
actually prove cheaper to put these people into some useful job somewhere,
even if it is "only" as a member of station staff?

Agreed. There are never enough station and ticket-office staff, so they
should be redeployed wherever possible.

But more importantly: WTF are they doing to the LT Museum for it to take 18
months to be refurbished? Sounds like a pretty radical overhaul. I look
forward to seeing the end result. I'm glad I read that it was going to be
closed: I was thinking about going up to London some time soon and I was
planning to go there - haven't been for a few years. Do they still charge
for admission or has it gone free entry like the Science Museum? Are any of
the exhibits being moved to a temporary exhibition elsewhere for all that
time.