Old April 26th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default London Uderground Song

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:28:49 +0100, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

"Brimstone" wrote in message

What about when the mueum reopens, how much will have to be spent on
training and equipping the new people, it is not possible that with
redundacy
payments and the costs associated with hiring new people that it might
actually prove cheaper to put these people into some useful job somewhere,
even if it is "only" as a member of station staff?

If it is true that the staff are being made redundant then I think that
is crazy. As you say what about the need to recruit in future, retrain
etc. A proportion of the staff are highly knowledgeable and it would be
a nonsense to make them leave. However the TfL approach to staffing and
conditions is one of great contrasts - you can draw your own conclusions
as to what that means.

This may explain why the shop staff were deep in conversation about work
matters this lunchtime.

Agreed. There are never enough station and ticket-office staff, so they
should be redeployed wherever possible.

And there is plenty of other work requiring people - a £10bn investment
programme for a start.

But more importantly: WTF are they doing to the LT Museum for it to take 18
months to be refurbished? Sounds like a pretty radical overhaul. I look
forward to seeing the end result. I'm glad I read that it was going to be
closed: I was thinking about going up to London some time soon and I was
planning to go there - haven't been for a few years. Do they still charge
for admission or has it gone free entry like the Science Museum? Are any of
the exhibits being moved to a temporary exhibition elsewhere for all that
time.

I understand that they are enlarging the display space and creating a
theatre and other facilities. The building itself needs substantive
repairs to stop it decaying further.

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/support/cgp.html

The shop will relocate to one of the units on the piazza. It closes
from late August so you should still be able to visit if you are coming
to London soon.

Charges still apply. Don't know what is happening to the exhibits but
I'd assume some will go to the Depot at Acton Town and will still be
accessible on the open weekends.
--
Paul C