Old April 29th 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rupert Candy Rupert Candy is offline

Default Pre-pay routeing question

Graham J wrote:

I've also never really been clear about how smart the validators are.

switch the scenario to stations I am familiar with, if one switches

between
tube and Thameslink at Farringdon, is one expected to touch-out on

the tube
platform and in on the NR one (or vice-versa) or is just one

validation on
either sufficient for the system to sort it all out. Similarly if

switching
between tube and Tramlink at Wimbledon, is validating on the Tramlink
platform sufficient for the system to register a touch-out from the

tube
system?

I do find the 'Pre-Pay users touch-in here' type notices hopelessly
insufficient in many cases. Why not have a notice clarifying exactly

who is
expected to touch-in?

I'd also like to know the answer to this as I think it's hopelessly
unclear (as illustrated in the recent thread about Tramlink at
Wimbledon!) One interesting aspect that I've considered - at City
Thameslink and Blackfriars there are now frequent 'swoops' by
Thameslink ticket inspectors in the morning peak. These guys don't have
handheld Oyster readers - instead they use the Prepay validators to
check people with seasons on Oyster. Of course, as long as you have
prepay balance, an Oyster will *always* be accepted by these validators
(as it assumes you're entering the system, not leaving it). So far it
doesn't seem to have led to any unresolved journeys, but it doesn't
seem to be the 'right' way to check Oyster tickets. Perhaps Thameslink
staff need some training...