Old April 29th 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No body No body is offline

Default Off Topic Money exchange

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:53:23 -0400, TheMiz
wrote:

Thanks Tom

And Yes I am in the USA now, Problem is there is no place around me to
exchange money except for the airports.

George

You haven't mentioned how much you are going to be exchanging. I have
found that if you are going to be exchanging $5-10K the cheapest way
is to open a no fee GBP savings account at your local bank,

Locally for me, HSBC has a no charge GBP account that I use and the
spread is very minimal to transfer from a dollar account to a GBP
account. I deposit $ to my current account and then transfer it to my
GBP account over the internet, then go into the bank and withdraw GBP
notes with no fee's. Returning what's left over in reverse fashion.

There's a huge number of banks in the states & you didn't mention your
area so I think you'll have to make a few phone calls to find out
which ones in your area offer this service. My experience with the
bank machines is like other posters have mentioned, charges popping up
out of nowhere and a less than favorable exchange rate. esp on
visa/mastercard.

Just my $0.02

Good luck, enjoy your trip.

PS Not sure if ING, ICIC or any of the other internet banks are
convenient for you, but if so, that's where I'd probably start