Old April 30th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default Platforms at Warren Street

On 29 Apr 2005 15:38:12 -0700,
wrote:

Why are warren street's platforms for the northern line on the outside
of the tracks, with the platform entrance so far up to the ends?

The platforms are probably placed like that because there were
restrictions - either engineering or legal - on the running tunnels
"parting" to allow them to be placed inbetween. The entrance will
have been so placed when the escalators were added - the original lift
landings being elsewhere and obviously directly below the station.

Is this something they added for the victoria line, since there seems
to have been a lot of rebuilding - there is a blocked passageway by the
escalator that I would guess used to lead to the lifts, but shouldn't
there be two - one for getting to the platforms and one for leaving?

There was certainly a lot of rebuilding in the 1930s when the
escalators were added, and then more in 1960s for the Victoria line.
This didn't, though, extend to any alteration of the Northern
platforms.

Or is it something they did recently - the tiling looks as if it has
recently been restored, and I guess that means there must have been
some modernising like blocking off a small passage at the interchange
level that curves to the left, I guess heading down to the victoria
line, that they must have replaced by the wider one with escalators
thats used now?

The tiling was replaced around 2000, but one segment with the original
"Euston Road" name has been retained within a wooden frame at platform
level.

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk