Old May 4th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Heathrow

Richard J. wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Anon wrote:

Are there any good websites about Heathrow. Its past, present and
future. I'm particulary interested about the third runway
possibility.
Where would they squeeze it in?

Basically by demolishing parts of two villages to the north of the
current airport, but to the south of the M4.

Would that mean yet another closure of the Piccadilly? Does the current
work make any provision for future expansion? Or would it not have its
own
station? What about HX?

The official proposal is for a third runway, not a sixth terminal, so no
new railway construction is currently envisaged. However, some reports
have said the new runway would require its own terminal, otherwise the
planned increase in flights could not be achieved. I haven't seen any
discussion of the surface transport implications of a sixth terminal.

I was under the impression that at least some "satellite terminals"
would be required (if not a full sixth terminal), as there is such a
distance between the current terminals and the proposed runway.

If a new terminal were required, presumably a HEx/Crossrail station
could be constructed around the existing running tunnels for the
Heathrow rail branch, as that would probably pass underneath or nearby
any new terminal construction.

The surface transport implications associated with a new terminal are
much the same as for the new runway; the same increase in traffic will
need to be accommodated in any case. The DfT document on Heathrow (link
on my site) talks about these options; I've listed them on my website.
They include Airtrack, direct services to St Albans, Watford and
Reading, a new Intercity station at Terminal 5 with a new GW connection,
and a new tunnelled dual carriageway from Heathrow to the M3 at Sunbury.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7