Old August 19th 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Phil Richards Phil Richards is offline

Default Fares From January 2004

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:21:52 GMT Neil Williams
said...

Flat fare of a quid for bus journeys everywhere isn't *too* bad -
it'll allow all buses to go to off-bus ticketing sooner, though it'll
not give much scope for further increases without involving loose
change.

I think the idea is to educate the occasional bus user to use the Saver 6
or Oyster Smartcard. Interesting as hundreds of bus stops in Central
London have had the new self service ticket machines installed in recent
weeks, it looks like the whole system will be cash free by 2005/6. That's
assuming TfL plan to put machines at each & every stop for those who
still want to pay cash.

I *do* disagree with the free travel for children idea,
though - I can see it leading to troublemakers *legitimately* riding
around on buses for free all day harassing the passengers. 40p is not
an unreasonable child fare, IMO.

Perhaps a better idea ought to be kids travelling with an adult travel go
free, unaccompanied pay. Presumably there will still be the no child
fares on Night Buses restriction as at present.

I'm not sure if TfL have thought this one out properly and how they go
about enforcing which kid is 11 or under.

As for gbp2 single on the Tube zone 1, it's a complete rip-off,
blatently targeted at visitors and tourists.

I wouldn't say the increase targeted at visitors & tourists as many would
tend to opt for Travelcards, the ODTC for Zones 1 & 2 for example is
going up only by 10p for example.

The biggest hike has got to be for those that regularly Travel in Z1 only
especially the Weekly Travelcard & Carnets. I think the biggest outcry
will come from those that live & work or whatever in Z1.

inter-available with buses to encourage the two to be used as a system
rather than two distinct means of transport.

I think it's safe to say single tickets involving bus to bus or tube to
bus (or v.v.) transfers are out of the question in London. A pity as so
many other cities in Europe manage this perfectly well.

It's odd, as someone originating from the North West who now lives in
Milton Keynes and visits London a lot (normally with a Travelcard), to
see that bus and Tube/rail fares in the London area are opposite to
those in the Northern PTEs - there, bus fares are set at commercial
rates and so are high, while rail fares are heavily-subsidised and
rather cheap in comparison, while in London the opposite is the
case...

For the last few years Ken has tried to get more passengers on the buses
and to give the man credit he has done a good job there. The last few
fare changes have seen prices dropped, Night bus fares levelled with day
time ones etc. etc. And consequently he has got more buses out on the
roads too which is quite the opposite to the tube as capacity can't be
really increased any more than it is at present.

What I would like to see as the next step in London's fares is for the
TOCs pricing structure to fall fully in line with the Travelcard zonal
system. Effectively one fare, one ticket say from any station in Zone 1
to say any station Zone 6 be it Tube or National Rail.

--
Phil Richards
London, N4