Old May 6th 05, 02:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default WWII Bunker

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Kat wrote:

lonelytraveller wrote:

I had read that there were some shelters built under some of the
central tube stations, but that the planned one at St. Pauls was never
actually built.

According to our duty manager, who used to work on that group, the doors
do lead to what was going to be a shelter. He said that while the
excavating was taking place local people complained about the noise and
got the work stopped by finding some ancient law forbidding any
tunnelling under St Paul's Cathedral.

Hang on - was this *during* the war? "Bomb shelter? No thanks, too noisy!
We'll just sit here with these nice quiet BOMBS FALLING ON OUR HEADS."?!?!

tom

--
The major advances in civilization are processes that all but wreck the societies in which they occur. -- Alfred North Whitehead