Old May 7th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default WWII Bunker

On 7 May 2005 05:46:46 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

I read somewhere that there was a huge cathedral sized cavern just off
the running tunnels between bethnal green and liverpool street.
Couldn't they just have built the bunker in that instead of digging
tunnels below the water table nearby?

No, because the whole point of the Deep Level Shelters is that they
were designed to be adaptable after the War as parts of the
Underground network, and "huge cathedral sized cavern(s)" - even if
they actually exist - don't fit that criteria.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk