Old May 7th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default round thing outside liverpool street

In article . com,
lonelytraveller writes
I meant the central line rather than the circle line - where the
escalators are now is where you have marked "offices" on your plan, but
on a 1980s photo - http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/c483527.html -
there is a road there, rather than a building for "offices".

That's the cab road (you're dragging back memories here). If you look at
the photo in that gallery showing the Great Eastern Hotel, the train is
on platform 9, the Circle entrance is under the hotel, the offices are
visible on the right.

The picture with the Solari board shows 12 to 18. The roof over these
was removed and replaced by a concrete raft holding up offices. The
present roof is on the other side of the brick arches visible at left.
You can also see the footbridge that took you over 9 and 10 (and all the
way across the station, IIRC).

http://www.photolondon.org.uk/assets/nmr/large/cc73_2309.jpg is
looking down the offices towards the country end; you can see the
footbridge behind the destination board.
http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.com/~cyberheritage/lond22.jpg is
looking towards the offices from platform 5. The white building above
the platform number is a bistro, with the footbridge behind it.

http://www.ben****ers.org/images/fro...reetstation.jp
shows platform 9. You can see cars behind platform 10; I think the cab
road came down there.

So I was wondering how you got to the central line, as there doesnt
seem to be any way to go in, or did everyone have to go via broad
street?

There was a subsurface ticket hall. Then, IIRC, there were two
passageways leading to staircases. One emerged somewhere around platform
11 - indeed, I believe it's still there - and the other over near 1/2.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: