Old May 7th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Platforms at Warren Street

nDavid Splett typed:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, I thought they used bigger shafts than that.
Was it for all the dirt and stuff that they had to dig out?

Yes. The earlier Tubes were built mainly using the shafts at each
station which were later to become the lift shafts; the City & South
London, Baker Street & Waterloo Railway and Waterloo & City Railways
additionally had shaft(s) in the Thames.

*In* the Thames?? Do you mean near the Thames, e.g. on the riverbank?
--
Richard J.