Old May 8th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David Howdon David Howdon is offline

Default Sudbury Hill (Harrow) lack of information

Barry Salter wrote:
On Sat, 07 May 2005 21:34:53 +0100, asdf
wrote:

There was some discussion on this group not so long ago about
promoting Sudbury Hill and Sudbury Hill Harrow as interchange
stations.

I was at Sudbury Hill the other day, during the week-and-a-half-long
eastbound platform closure. The posters at the station advised
passengers for central London to travel to South Harrow using a
westbound train then return on an eastbound. This would add approx 7
to 17 mins to the usual journey time. I didn't see any mention at all
of the Chiltern service from Sudbury Hill Harrow to Marylebone.

This seemed to me a bit uninformative - they could have saved some
passengers time by bringing the service to their attention and putting
a list of the Chiltern departure times on the poster.

This would probably be because the Chiltern "service" is all of 13
services a day (weekedays only) with trains from Sudbury Hill Harrow at
06:42, 07:47, 08:28, 09:23, 10:29, 12:04, 13:04, 14:06, 15:04, 16:09,
17:02, 17:08 and 17:58, as opposed to Piccadilly Line trains every 10 to
12 minutes for most of the day.

It may also be because transferring the entire commuter load from the
Picc onto the Chiltern service would not be that practical.
I remember a few winters back when (fairly typical, seasonal) weather
conditions caused the vast majority of the underground network to shut
down. On that occasion I had to get into work in central London so went
for the 06:42 Chiltern train instead. Now at that time in the morning
it is before the main commuter rush, and weather conditions being what
they were I suspect a significant number of commuters had arrange to
work from home or otherwise not travel in that day. Nevertheless I only
just managed to squash onto the train and passengers at subsequent
stations were (justifiably) grumpy about not being able to get onto what
is their usual commuter train.

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.