Old May 9th 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David Splett David Splett is offline

Default Platforms at Warren Street

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message ups.com...
What I always wanted to know about King William Street was why they
built the station on such a stupid alignment, with a sharp right angle
just before it, rather than locate it just after the tunnel reaches
land on a nice straight alignment.

Almost certainly because Swan Lane was/is too narrow to accommodate the
platform tunnels. Remember that the two Tubes run one on top of the other
between the River Thames and Arthur Street West.

I suspect that another complication was that the railway couldn't run
beneath the foundations of London Bridge, preventing a use of that
alignment.