Old May 9th 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
PhilD PhilD is offline

Default The Birmingham Direct line

asdf wrote:
When and why was it singled? I travelled on the West Ruislip branch

of
the Central line sometime around 1990, and vaguely seem to remember
the Direct line being all double track then (though I might be

wrong).
What reason could there have been since then to go out and single it?

Don't know when, but I do know that the singling involved leaving the
other track in situ. The "new" single line was sometimes the up line,
and sometimes the down (hence (some of) the speed restrictions), and
the remainder stayed put. 'Course, it may have been removed now, but
it may have *looked* like double track when you saw it, but was
actually single.

Hope that makes sense!

PhilD