Old May 9th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default round thing outside liverpool street

In article .com,
lonelytraveller writes
there are some passages like that now for the other entrance to the
tube (the one with escalators going both ways, left and right),

I've just been there to look, and that is the original Central Line
booking hall. The passages are the original ones I was remembering, one
emerging by platform 1 and the other by platforms 11/12.

Before 1992 the former would have emerged at a side entrance at the
corner of the offices. My previous plan wasn't detailed enough; the
offices did not reach quite back to Liverpool Street itself, and I have
memories of there being a memorial wall in the side entrance.

but
they would have been outside the building on the cab road in 1985,

No. The platform 1 one would have been behind the offices, and the
platform 11/12 one in the middle of the station (from memory, beside the
arched wall between 10 and 11).

unless they moved them. I guess that ticket office itself would have
been just inside, as I think its dead in the centre of the whole
station now, so I suppose they could have moved them, but Id have
thought it would have been more sensible to just have steps straight
into it, or have made the escalators go to the surface or something,
and come out just by the offices, unless it was under platform 9?

Yes, it was.

But if thats the case, then why did they build it in the one place
inside the station they couldn't get to the surface?.

Because the GER gave them the space free in exchange for an agreement
not to extend beyond Liverpool Street.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: