Old May 9th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default round thing outside liverpool street

In article . com,
lonelytraveller writes
I meant the central line rather than the circle line - where the
escalators are now is where you have marked "offices" on your plan, but
on a 1980s photo - http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/c483527.html -
there is a road there, rather than a building for "offices".

I went to Liverpool Street this morning to look around. Looking again at
Chris Tolley's pictures:

The one showing the Solari board: the roof above platforms 12 to 17 has
now been completely removed but the barrier line is roughly in the same
place as shown. This picture would appear to have been taken from the
walkway along the side of the ticket office (now a pub). At the extreme
left you can see a staircase up to the footbridge - the (present)
platform 11/12 exit from the Central emerged just beside it.

The one showing the Great Eastern Hotel sign is taken on the old
platform 9; the photo was taken from a point which is *now* around the
buffer stop of platform 8 but was then well outside the barrier line.
The offices on the right are the ones I am referring to. The hotel
fascia, with that flat-arch top, is still there opposite 9 and 10. On
its right is now McDonalds. If you look in the picture you can see a
sign pointing to Liverpool Street, Taxis, and Broad Street; I *think*
that the other Central Line exit (the one now by platform 1) was there.

The wide space between 10 and 11 still there today was, I am fairly
sure, the cab arrival and parcels area, including chutes down to
MailRail.

I can't work out where the outside picture was taken, so I can't see how
that sloping road fits in.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: