Old May 10th 05, 01:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default The Birmingham Direct line

On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:01:09 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Phil D.:
... the singling involved leaving the other track in situ.

Tom Anderson:
Sounds like a rather Zen form of singling! What was the point?

John Rowland:
... Seriously, the point is reduced maintenance cost.

But wouldn't they have to go to the trouble of resignalling it?
(Unless one line was already bidirectionally signalled.)
Although, I suppose maintenance costs are ongoing whereas resignalling
only needs to be done once.

Incidentally, does the line still have the semaphore signals it had 15
years ago?

Specifically, in some cases the point is no points!

Couldn't they just remove any crossovers? That way (I think) there'd
be roughly the same number of points anyway - you'd have extra points
around Greenford, but you wouldn't need the ones where the lines
join/split.