Old May 11th 05, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Student Oyster

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

I got mine in the post today. They've moved from issuing plain old
photocards to printing your photo and name onto a personalised Oyster,
which is encoded with your discount entitlement,

Do you get a new one every year?

so you can buy your discounted season tickets from the machine or
online, rather than having to go to the ticket office to do it.

Hmm. I can buy student-rate period travelcards at the machine; i have to
do it via a renewal rather than a new ticket purchase, though.

Unfortunately you can't get your existing Oyster's prepay balance
transferred onto it; looks like I'll have a main Oyster and an
emergency/guest Oyster from now on.

Huh? Can't you give in your old one and get the money back? I've never
tried that, but i'd assumed it was possible - after all, you pay a deposit
for an Oyster, and 'deposit' implies the possibility of a refund.

I mention this all because a while ago we had a thread mentioning YP
Railcard discounts on Travelcards versus prepay capping. It would seem
that since Oysters are now issued to students in this fashion, it would
be easy to set different prepay cap levels for a student Oyster,
corresponding to the YP discounts.

That would be nice.

I'm still looking forward to capping to 7DTC etc prices, though ...

tom

--
Any Christmas message which ends with "... everything's pointless ..." probably doesn't need sharing -- cleanskies