Old May 11th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stuart Stuart is offline

Default LBC Satellite Data

Vernon wrote:
When LBC Travel News talk of travel information derived from "Satellite
Data", what sort of satellite help are they getting? I am aware of GPS for
navigation, but I can't see how that could help with determining the levels
of realtime traffic problems.

Just curious, but does anyone here know?

Years ago they used to have 'real time travel data' which was linked to
the Trafficmaster system. This monitored the speed of individual cars
from point A to point B (while making the actual registration number
anonomous) to give a journey time.

I suspect it's the same system with 'satellite' being used as a bit of
hyperbole