Old May 12th 05, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Student Oyster

Chris! wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

I got mine in the post today. They've moved from issuing plain old
photocards to printing your photo and name onto a personalised Oyster,
which is encoded with your discount entitlement, so you can buy your
discounted season tickets from the machine or online, rather than having
to go to the ticket office to do it.

Unfortunately you can't get your existing Oyster's prepay balance
transferred onto it; looks like I'll have a main Oyster and an
emergency/guest Oyster from now on.

I mention this all because a while ago we had a thread mentioning YP
Railcard discounts on Travelcards versus prepay capping. It would seem
that since Oysters are now issued to students in this fashion, it would
be easy to set different prepay cap levels for a student Oyster,
corresponding to the YP discounts.

What did you need to get one? I currently have an oyster card for this
acadmic year + IC paperwork, etc. Can you apply for a next year card
if you currently have a this year one?

I just applied in the standard fashion - got a form from the college
registry, filled in out, got them to stamp it, and I sent it off with
the £5 payment. I presume they're issuing all new student cards in this
way now. I don't know whether you can apply for next year's one - if
you're carrying on an existing course, then I don't think it matters
what year you are on any more; the Oyster is encoded with a "finish
date" for the student entitlement, which I presume is just the end date
of your course as filled in on the application form.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7