Old May 12th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default LBC Satellite Data

Stuart wrote:
Vernon wrote:

When LBC Travel News talk of travel information derived from "Satellite
Data", what sort of satellite help are they getting? I am aware of
GPS for
navigation, but I can't see how that could help with determining the
levels
of realtime traffic problems.

Just curious, but does anyone here know?

Years ago they used to have 'real time travel data' which was linked to
the Trafficmaster system. This monitored the speed of individual cars
from point A to point B (while making the actual registration number
anonomous) to give a journey time.

Don't TfL do this with the congestion charge cameras too, i.e. measure
the journey times of individual cars between two cameras to get traffic
information for particular links?

I always thought that these traffic-monitoring systems should be
integrated somewhat with the London Buses data. At the moment, the
London Buses realtime information is not particularly realtime, and
generally only talks about roadworks, scheduled diversions and scheduled
disruptive events like demonstrations. I'd like to know how congested a
given link is, so I can plan my bus journey to avoid it, or use the Tube
instead.

A very impressive system would be to not only have accurate Countdown
information online and at stops, but also to have dynamically-estimated
journey times to destinations from that stop, available both online and
via Countdown at the stop itself. Integrate this into Journey Planner
for those looking for journeys departing "now", and you get an extremely
accurate guide as to the quickest way to your destination.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7