Old May 13th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Splett David Splett is offline

Default WWII Bunker

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
Midway between BG and Liverpool Street, although it's acquired the
former name, presumably because it was either closer to that station,
or to differentiate it from the tunnels already in use as shelters at
Liverpool Street.

Do you have any further info on this? I know about the Bishopsgate shaft,
the "mysterious" floodgates at Bishopsgate, and the complex of tunnels at
Hollybush Gardens, just west of Bethnal Green, but I've never heard of
anything else on this section.

There was (and is) an intermediate shaft at Carlton Square, mid-way between
Bethnal Green and Mile End, that was associated with a war-time shelter.

'London's Secret Tubes' (Emmerson & Beard, 2004) attributes it to
flooding and quotes extensively from official reports at the time
detailing the problems encountered, and the measures that would need
to be taken to complete the shelter as planned. The only mention of
labour is in the context of the manpower being diverted to Camden
Town, where completion was of a higher priority.

I believe the brick building on the corner of Kennington Park Road/Brixton
Road/Camberwell New Road is a relic of the aborted Oval shelter.