Old May 15th 05, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default New DLR suburban possibilities

On Sat, 14 May 2005, David Fairthorne wrote:

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Catford doesn't seem like an obvious destination as it parallels an
existing railway, although it could be useful for interchange
to/from services to Bromley.

They're not planning to assimilate the railway line between Lewisham
and Catford, are they?

I doubt they'd assimilate the existing line. I imagine construction
along that corridor is relatively easy, as it could follow the River
Ravensbourne (just like the existing line between Greenwich and
Lewisham). You could whack in some stations at Lewisham High St,
Lewisham Hospital, and the greyhound stadium (I think
redevelopment/reuse is expected there), with a nifty little
interchange at Catford / Catford Bridge for Bromley/Orpington and the
Hayes line (which AFAIR alternates between calling at and bypassing
Lewisham, so a "definite" interchange might be another Good Thing).

I agree. DLR extension(s) south of Lewisham would relieve overcrowding
at Lewisham, which is a rail bottleneck.

You say 'bottleneck', i say 'hub' . Surely the solution is to increase
capacity at Lewisham, rather than making it harder for people to get
there?

There must be a big potential demand from wharf workers living in the
southeast.

It would have to be a very big demand to make cutting out Lewisham
worthwhile.

tom

--
We'll never win by being like them. Our best tactic is to be better. Better necessarily means different. -- Jon Rentzsch