Old May 15th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default New DLR suburban possibilities

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Mrs Redboots wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 May 2005:

On Sat, 14 May 2005, David Fairthorne wrote:

I agree. DLR extension(s) south of Lewisham would relieve overcrowding
at Lewisham, which is a rail bottleneck.

You say 'bottleneck', i say 'hub' . Surely the solution is to
increase capacity at Lewisham, rather than making it harder for people
to get there?

How would extending the DLR south of Lewisham prevent people from
getting off/interchanging there in the first place?

It wouldn't. Altering NR service patterns so more trains skip Lewisham
would.

There must be a big potential demand from wharf workers living in the
southeast.

It would have to be a very big demand to make cutting out Lewisham
worthwhile.

Do feel free to point out how the original poster suggested cutting out
Lewisham?

In the message i replied to ), he
said:

"A Catford Bridge extension would allow all Hayes trains to bypass
Lewisham. A Bromley North extension would allow all Dartford loop line
trains (via Sidcup) to bypass Lewisham"

I was a bit overzealous with my trimming , so i cut that bit off, i'm
afraid.

It occurs to me that i didn't make myself clear on what i was worried
about being cut out - i was talking about cutting Lewisham out of some NR
services, not the DLR. Was that what you thought i meant?

tom

--
People don't want nice. People want London. -- Al