Old May 16th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Chris! Chris! is offline

Default Route 73 - no longer better from every angle

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Mrs Redboots typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 May

2005:

"Chris!" typed

Some of the new deckers have a CCTV camera peering out the front

window
with a display on the inside. Also, on all deckers you can see

out the
front windows upstairs but of course some people are unable to

get
upstairs

Some people are unable to get up the stairs. Far more are

unwilling.
There'd be little downstairs crowding if those who could go

upstairs
did...

The trouble is that if you are only going a couple of stops (and

the use
of passes encourages this, I'm afraid), it's hardly worthwhile

going
upstairs, since by the time you have, it's time to turn round and

come
downstairs again, given that bus drivers don't believe you want to

get
off if you aren't standing by the doors when the bus pulls away

from the
stop before yours!

I think staying downstairs for a short hop is fine. Clogging the

lobby
or sitting on 'Priority Seats' when fit and spry, for miles and miles

is
not.

And if you have a lot of shopping, or luggage, then
you don't particularly want to go upstairs (although if I'm coming

back
from the West End I do, since I wouldn't enjoy such a long bus

journey
downstairs).

You aren't one of the yoofertoday, who seem to be the worst

offenders.

In my experience everyone is as bad as each other at clogging up the
downstairs bit. If you try and get a bus from outside a suburban train
station at about 6pm the whole downstairs section is clogged up with
suites whilst the upstairs is empty