Old May 16th 05, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Route 73 - no longer better from every angle

(Neil Williams)typed

On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:26:48 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

I think staying downstairs for a short hop is fine. Clogging the lobby
or sitting on 'Priority Seats' when fit and spry, for miles and miles is
not.

Remember why some perfectly fit people do sit on priority seats - the
others don't have enough legroom on many bus designs.

I accept this argument for bigger people & actually some buses don't
have enough legroom for me -I'm 5ft 5½in tall. I don't accept this
argument in the case of many small to average-sized locals though.

Personally, I'll go upstairs for a journey of over 5 minutes. Below
that I will tend to stand in the wheelchair area, moving in the
unlikely event of an actual wheelchair user boarding.

If I'm carrying an awkward load, or if it's an older bus design with
no legroom upstairs, the 5 minutes may increase substantially.

Awkward loads are awkward for all. Stay downstairs by all means. My
point is that some unladen, fit passengers are not very considerate of
others.

True the point is that those that can, often don't.

Because it's awkward, especially if you're carrying anything. On a
bendy, you don't *need* to.

On a bendy, you're more likely to have to stand for much of the journey.
I really *need* a seat, don't always like having to ask, and know that
if I go upstairs, I can be _certain_ of a seat.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.