Old May 17th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route displays (was: Route 73 - no longer better from every angle)

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:27:08 GMT, (Neil
Williams) said:

I think the motivation was that they looked modern. There's a good
reason why the rest of Europe remained with flipboard technology on
stations for so long.

The reason *I* prefer flip-board displays at stations is that you can
hear them change. So I could take a quick look at the list of
departures, and see that my train is not yet up there, and bury my
nose in a book only looking up when I hear the board clattering. And
of course because I can tell where the clattering is coming from I
don't have to look far to find the change. With LEDs, that extra
useful information is lost and I have to spend far more time looking
at the boards and not reading.

--
David Cantrell |
http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david