Old May 20th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Connectivity

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2005, Chris Tolley wrote:

On 20 May 2005 01:34:22 -0700, lonelytraveller wrote:

the lack of interchange between lines which cross each other

I share his frustration over Earl's Court - it (or the WLL, depending
on how you look at it) is just in the wrong place for interchange with
the WLL (and concomitant extermination of the Kenny O stub, which i
find really irritating).

Earl's Court is in exactly the right place - between Earl's Court Road
and Warwick Road, with the former exit serving the busy shopping area
and the latter exit serving the exhibition centre. There's no better
location of Earl's Court station.

That is one conclusion. The other is that the shops and the exhibition
centre are in the wrong place.

That isn't an entirely facetious comment - the location of the station
probably had a lot to do with the structure of development in the area.

It is a mostly facetious comment, though.

To provide a comprehensive interchange to the WLL without greatly
inconveniencing the people who travel to the Earl's Court area would require
new platforms underneath the exhibition centre, with a passageway linking
them to the existing station. But these platforms would be tens of metres
away from West Brompton! So, why not just signpost and allow out-of-station
interchange between Earl's Court and West Brompton? It would have much the
same effect.

I think that's a great idea. I'm not suggesting a new WLL station on the
existing line; that would clearly be madness. I'm just a little irked that
they didn't build the stuff in that area a bit more smoothly when they had
the chance (with the WLL further to the east, for example). I'm not too
hot on my history, though; the WLL probably predates the District line.
Still, if Earl's Court is a good place for a tube station, it's also a
good place for a railway station.

That said, perhaps the fact that the Wimbledon branch follows the WLL
alignment means Earl's Court has to be well to the east of it.

You may find the Olympia stub irritating, but many others find it useful

DESTROY KENSINGTON OLYMPIA.

tom

--
Sometimes it takes a madman like Iggy Pop before you can SEE the logic really working.