Old May 22nd 05, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Paul is offline

Default is it called a running board?

On 21 May 2005 08:39:30 -0700, wrote:

I thought this was the "running card"? Originally paper pasted onto a
c.A5 bakerlite brown rectangle , later replaced by laminated clear
plastic. The running board ran along the sill of cars (the last UK Ford
so-fited being the Pilot).

I've always known them as time cards when I was a driver. That was in
the days when the card stayed on the bus all day and you only found
out what journeys you were doing when you took over (unless you
remembered from the last time you did that duty). In later days the
system changed (across London I think in London Buses days) so that
the crew or d/op carried a card with all of the journeys for that duty
- hence a rename to duty card. Made the service more flexible as you
could take any suitable bus that turned up and still readily have the
details of what you were scheduled to do (previously we often had the
daft situation of having an empty bus with no crew and a crew with no
bus).