Old May 23rd 05, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Route 73 - no longer better from every angle

On Mon, 23 May 2005, David Splett wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...

It least that confirms TfL's claims about quicker boarding. Is it
really a "nightmare" to have to wait a few seconds behind the bus until
it moves off again?

I ride through here on many weekday mornings,

Me too. Any other King's Cross cyclists on this froup?

and TBH I don't really have any safety issues with it. However, time and
again I get delayed on the approach to turning left into Judd Street
because you have one or more bendy buses stopped in the left-hand lane
which need to move rightwards and have difficulty getting in to the
traffic flow because of their length. I feel sorry for cars in this
situation - at least on a bicycle you can make up the lost time by
walking the bike past the red traffic lights.

Hang on, though - that left-turn tailback is as often as not due to a
normal bus, at least when i'm there. I think it's just a really nasty bit
of road - a bus stop, a turning, lights and however many lanes of traffic,
all in one go.

I'd like to see the bus stop moved to the west side of Judd street, and an
ASL installed to the east with a feeder lane running between the bus lane
(which would usually be full of buses waiting for the lights, making it
little use for cyclists) and the left-hand lane of traffic, so that bikes
can actually get into the reservoir. The traffic's dense enough that the
reservoir would usually be full of cars, though.

tom

--
THE DRUMMER FROM DEF LEPPARD'S ONLY GOT ONE ARM!