Old May 25th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default TfL Board gives approval for next step for DLR Stratford extension

Boltar wrote:
The Stratford International extension is not really a Tube/train
replacement; it provides a local tram-like (i.e. light rail) service
along a corridor which is being targeted for regeneration.

Of course it is , its replacing the NLL which has proper trains. I'm
not really sure what they're trying to achieve that they couldn;t
have achieved far cheaper by simply upping the frequency of NLL
train services.

Why are those "proper trains" automatically better than DLR trains?

By replacing NLL services they're achieving:
1. Increased catchment area with more useful station locations
2. Improved reliability
3. More economically-achieved increased frequency (I'm sure the DLR can
run the proposed frequency levels far more efficiently and cheaply than
the NLL ever could)
4. More, useful local destinations (Stratford - Canning Town - Beckton
and Stratford - Canning Town - Woolwich Arsenal)
5. A useful service between Stratford and North Woolwich maintained once
the Canning Town - North Woolwich NLL service closes for Crossrail
6. An economical way of directly serving Stratford International station

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7