Old May 26th 05, 09:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Why can't LU cope with a signal failure?

Boltar wrote:
Here we go again, the whole clockwise section of the Circle &
H&C line was buggered up because of a single signal failure.
Just how hard is it to cope with a light stuck on red? Train gets
to signal , line controller gives clear if ok to move , train
moves across signal, resets , continues on journey. This isn't
bloody rocket science so can someone explain why LU goes to hell
in a handbasket as soon as something like this happens?? Its not
like it hasn't been happening for the last 120 years which to me
seems like a reasonable amount of time to sort out a practical
solution which doesn't involve trains going nowhere for 15 bloody
minutes. FFS , just how complex a procedure is it?

If the signal is on red because the track circuit shows the section of
track beyond it as occupied (which I believe is the a common reason for
a signal "stuck on red"), how would the line controller miles away from
the fault know that it's "OK to move"?
--
Richard J.