Old May 26th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default TfL Board gives approval for next step for DLR Stratford extension

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Boltar wrote:

The Stratford International extension is not really a Tube/train
replacement; it provides a local tram-like (i.e. light rail) service
along a corridor which is being targeted for regeneration.

Of course it is , its replacing the NLL which has proper trains. I'm
not really sure what they're trying to achieve that they couldn;t
have achieved far cheaper by simply upping the frequency of NLL train
services.

Why are those "proper trains" automatically better than DLR trains?

Capacity.

Only useful when it will actually be filled. DLR can operate on
extremely short headways compared to heavy rail trains anyway, providing
quite good capacity; however, this is a bit moot when we're talking
about Stratford to North Woolwich. Even if traffic warranted the
capacity planned for the rest of the NLL (IIRC 6-car trains every 10
minutes), the DLR could still provide that capacity (with 2-unit trains
every 3-4 mins) whilst still fulfilling the local role it is designed for.

However, the Jubilee line already provides a high-capacity service
between Stratford and Canning Town, and increasing the NLL frequency
there just duplicates that; yes, the trains run beyond Stratford to
Hackney, but I think the majority of passengers along that corridor will
be making local trips to Stratford or West Ham to connect into radial
services or reach local centres.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7