Old May 26th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Connectivity

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Absent the *extremely* rare reversal at King's Cross or Farringdon,
*ALL* eastbound H&C trains call at both Euston Square and Aldgate East
and are not overtaken by Circle or Met. trains en route. So you can
*never* save time by doing what you say you do; you simply wait at a
different place.

True, but when the H&C line trains are often not even displayed, and
even then often the Whitechapel only service is available, so getting
closer to Liverpool Street is a natural move - and sometimes I have,
depending on which trains are available, gone to Aldgate and legged it
to Aldgate East to get the District or changed at Tower Hill for the
same effect.

Yes, an Aldgate interchange would allow you to take a Circle/Met. to
Aldgate and then walk through long enough passages to miss the following
H&C train, but I'm not sure that there's a great public benefit there.

If the train were following closely enough then I reckon it would show
up on the indicators. Otherwise I could get the more frequent through
District service.

Whilst not the greatest public benefit, a single combined Aldgate
station could work better than the current one.