Old August 21st 03, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default Northern Line - again!

Clive wrote in
:

In message , Rupert Goodwins
writes

Errr... didn't I say there might be implications for rostering?
(checks) Yes, I did! Look! Up there!

Perhaps I should spell it out more clearly: the needs of the drivers
would also be taken into account. True flexibility involves taking
account of all parties involved to find the best compromise.

I can't see why the ability to change the destination of trains after
the start of service should have to be bought at the cost of four
hours' extra work. After all, the Northern Line has to reconfigure
itself frequently because of signalling, stock or other problems: why
not accept that and add the ability to reconfigure it because it'll
make the service better for the rest of the day? It's doubtless harder
to do this while taking accounts of the needs and wishes of the
drivers, but I think that would nonetheless be an essential part of the
plan.

Why shouldn't it be better for everyone? We have the technology. Is
there a history of management messing with the system and to hell with
the staff? (hmmm.. wonder what the 'best before' date is on this can of
worms?)

I've nothing against flexible rostering if you can show me how the
driver gets to keep his break and gets to leave his home station to go
home to his wife on time? If you can work this out for me in a
meaningful situation, I might agree with you.

I hope that was tongue in cheek although with LUL staff I am never sure.

I have nothing against LUL staff getting a rate of pay commensurate with
being 'professional' so long as 'professional' means something other than
clocking off "cause I finish now" despite the fact that the system they
work for is up s**t creek and could be brought back to normal should
'professionals' be willing to work another half an hour[1] just to take
that train to its destination.

[1] Often during disruption 'professionals' stop driving their trains
early, not because it is the end of their shift, but because if they
carried on they would have to end their shift and then travel back to their
depot on their own time - so don't give us bull about safety.

'professional' my arse.