Old May 27th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Splett David Splett is offline

Default Jubilee Line Closure

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
oups.com...
Once you own a car, the cost of a journey collapses dramatically
(insurance, tax etc doesnt increase per mile), and ends up below that
of P.T. For the majority of the country a car is always faster than
P.T. London is a special case, as it's such an overcrowded ********,
but even in London its faster offpeak to travel by car.

Not sure about the latter; my regular journey has been done in 43 minutes
(door to door) by train/bike (which gives an average speed of almost 60mph);
I have never done the same journey by car in less than 75 minutes, even in
the middle of the night. Similarly, I've sat in traffic for hours in places
like St. Albans, Portsmouth or Brighton on too many occasions to ever
willingly drive in to a big city during the day. There was even a time when
it was quicker for me to travel by train from St. Albans to King's Cross and
then out to Hitchin, than leave St. Albans at 1700 by road.