Old August 20th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Winter David Winter is offline

Default Shielding 750 volt 3rd rail ?

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
: ] (Arthur Figgis) wrote in message
: Why re-invent the wheel, and introduce an incompatible new system at
: huge expense? Internationally 25kV 50 Hz is effectively standard
: nowadays, the equipment is available off the shelf (and once we shoot
: all the Daily Mail readers, sorry, I mean sort out the important
: political issues, we might even be able to get standard foreign trains
: running through to Britain on it).
:
: They'll only be able to run on the CTRL, they'd be too big for other
lines.
: I can't understand why we have such a restricted loading gauge in this
: country, I mean we had broad gauge on the GWR for heavens sake, surely the
for
: european trains?

..... and the Great Central, too!

DW