Old May 30th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default TfL Board gives approval for next step for DLR Stratford extension

Boltar wrote:
London City is and always will be quite a small airport. It currently
handles about 1.7 mppa (million passengers per annum). Assuming 50
weeks of 5 days, that's 6800 passengers per day. According to Newham

And you don't think thats a lot?

Council, Stratford station (all lines) currently handles 52,000
passengers per day. I fail to see the logic behind "clear target" and
"rather pointless terminus"

Airport = clear target (and obviously someone in tfl has finally
noticed or
else the DLR wouldn't be going there).

Rather pointless terminus = area that is already served by mainline
trains
to liverpool street, NLL, central line & DLR. I'm trying to think of a
reason
that a run down tip like stratford would need yet another tube line to
go
there.

So that people can interchange from those lines to reach Canary Wharf
and LB Southwark easily? To increase capacity between the east and
Canary Wharf?

You pointed out yourself that the airport is a traffic target otherwise
the DLR wouldn't be going there. However, the reason the DLR is going
there and not the Jubilee line is that 6,800 passengers per day does NOT
warrant a hugely expensive Underground line. The DLR can cope with 6,800
passengers per day and then some.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7