Old May 30th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Why can't LU cope with a signal failure?

In article .com,
Boltar writes
[+] For example, on 1953-04-08 twelve passengers were killed in a
collision just in rear of signal A491, which had failed. The driver of
the rear train failed to control his speed after tripping past A489.

Are you seriously suggesting that 50 years later

That was the date that I could find most quickly when writing that
posting. I am aware of other collisions in the same area much more
recently, but I'd have to dig through a fair amount of paper to find the
details.

the controllers
still wouldn't know that there was a train on the section ahead of
a stuck signal and so to warn the driver behind?

The driver who passed A489 knew there was probably a train ahead of him
(it could have moved off). Nevertheless he failed to control his speed
and killed 12 people as a result.

It is incidents like this that led to the introduction of Speed Control
After Trip. The specific device which you think should be removed.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: