Old May 30th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Circle Line "closing" from 2009?

ONscotland wrote:

I read that LUL are withdrawing the "Circle" line service, as it causes
far too many delays at the various bottlenecks on the route.

Naturally, the lines will still be there (ie: H&C, Met and District
Line will still have services), but without a circular service
operating. The nickname "tea-cup" was mentioned, as this will basically
cover the stylised map of new routes that will be utilised.

Does anyone have any other details on this: or is it just another plan
that is being considered?

No knowledge on the scheme, but the proposals on other threads to dig up the
Aldgate stations and produce an integrated interchange could help such a
plan no end! In my humble opinion the lines don't really work properly - far
too travellers are left with no idea when the through service they need is
coming, with the result that Liverpool Street fills up with everyone trying
to get as far as possible and many having to make sprints between Aldgate or
running around at Tower Hill in the hope of making an interchange, if they
can get that far (the number of times it seems that only the Met is running
astounds me). Even an upgrade of the platform indicators so that they can
always show the next train for each destination combination would be an
improvement (although the patisserie on the Aldgates-bound platform at
Liverpool Street may not see it that way!)