Old May 31st 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Troy Steadman Troy Steadman is offline

Default CTRL St Pancras - Exhumed Bodies

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
Midland had ploughed up corpses to build its tracks, so the new work
unearthed further remains. In fact, no fewer than 7,000 bodies came
out of the ground just north of the station.'

Were there really so many bodies found? When I asked a CTRL lecturer
last year whether any bodies had been unearthed the answer was ' yes,
a few'. I wonder which report is accurate.

"The graveyard posed the initial problems, the main line was to pass
over
on a girder bridge and the branch to the Metropolitan under in a tunnel.
The disturbance of the remains was expected but was, initially,
carelessly handled. The tunnelling was especially delayed by the
presence of decomposing matter, the many coffins encountered, and a
London-wide outbreak of cholera leading to the requirement to enclose
the Fleet River entirely in iron. Despite this the connection was
completed in January 1867".

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...ailway-station

I'd believe 7,000.