Old August 21st 03, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Fares From January 2004

"Richard J." wrote:
Colin McKenzie wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
What about Hail & Ride buses?

Will probably disappear altogether, despite their popularity, for
disability discrimination reasons.

In what way are they discriminatory? One such route near me is very popular
with elderly residents with limited walking ability because they don't have
to walk so far.
--

This shows the foolishness of the disabled=wheelchair mind-set.
Make a bus with an entrance wide enough for a wheelchair, and lo! those

Make a wheelchair space between the doors and lo! hardly any seats on
the low-floor part of a double-decker for those who need them.

Prohibit 'hail and ride' because even with low-floor you can only get
wheelchairs onto buses if the bus is alongside a specially raised kerb
and lo! you have to walk along the bus route to a bus stop.

I suppose blind people have trouble with 'hail and ride' too.

But couldn't you have 'hail and ride' AND bus stops on the same road, so
that people could choose between a shorter walk and a proper bus stop
with seat, ticket machine etc?

Colin McKenzie