Old June 1st 05, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default New source for public transport information

As Vernon had found, the car journeys results can be somewhat odd.

I am not convinced that it should give car journeys at all - there are
after other free services that do this already (the AA, the RAC and
Multimap amongst others offer road directions). I'd have thought it
should be promoting public transport, though I guess that by including
car journeys it can give multi-modal journey results which include
using the car for a portion of the overall journey.

I've often found that online public transport journey planners can be
most useful when you're very specific, and are asking about a short
journey, especially when you use them in conjunction with a street
atlas. Longer journeys can give some pretty odd results, though on some
occasions they can suggest a novel route I haven't though of before.

A couple of other journey planner sites I've heard of follow.

Xephos offers a fee-paying journey planner service that the transport
guru Christian Wolmar reckons is far superior to Transport Direct. I
haven't tried it, but they do offer a 7-day free trial. David McKie,
writing in the Guardian, thinks the government should have just given
the Transport Direct contract straight to Xephos.
http://www.internet.xephos.com
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...389228,00.html

Traveline Scotland's online journey planner is reputed to be pretty
comprehensive than Transport Direct, according to Michael Cross in
another Guardian article.
http://www.travelinescotland.com/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/sto...270824,00.html