Old June 1st 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Jubilee Line Closure

Sure, if you live in the middle of a city near the station, and your
destination is near a station served by a fast train, and you're
travelling in peak time, then obviously the train is faster. However
none of my family have ever lived/worked in a position where that's the
case.

I need to travel from Evesham (10 minutes from evesham station) to St
Erth (10 minutes from St Erth Station) on Friday afternoon. I'll finish
work arround 3ish.

By train I'd arrive after midnight assuming all the trains are on time.
By car I'll arrive 3 hours earlier - and that's a conservitive
estimate.

Getting into work (W12) for 11PM, from Twyford (chosen because of it's
closeness to the trainline) means leaving the house at 21:20 to get the
21:38 train arriving 22:19 at Ealing, onto the central line arriving
22:40 at White City.

In the car I leave 40 minutes later at 22:00 and get in arround 22:45.

Even in the morning I can get in for 11:30 (just) by leaving arround
10:20 on the train, similar time as by car. Of course getting home at
23:30 by train is much harder and longer than car (about 3 times as
long as train)

I have never done the same journey by car in less than 75 minutes, even
in the middle of the night

How long does the train journey take at night? Peak travel time from
Twyford to Paddington is arround 25 minutes by train. It's twice as
long as at night.