Old June 1st 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
londoncityslicker londoncityslicker is offline

Default Gold Card purchased from Tube station

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
Dominic wrote:
That's what I did - bought Annual Travelcard (Oyster Card) from LU and
later got my £1 partner card from NR at Paddington. They wrote on the
back of my Record Card to say the partner card had been issued. The
partner card is actually valid for a year from the date I got it,
rather than when I got the Travelcard.

Dominic

Slighty OT

I have a gold record card that I got via my annual travelcard. One of
the benefits is the ability to upgrade a standard ticket 1st (only in
the NSE region?). Is there a limitiation on the type of standard
tickets that can be upgraded? and how would one go about upgrading.
Just get on the train and pay the ticket inspector? or get it from the
ticket office before you travel?

Stu

Thanks for the reply Dominic - I suspect that your experience is
universal, i.e. that Underground ticket offices and TfL Travel Info
Centres are unable to issue the Partner's Network Railcard. So if you
want an annual Travelcard on Oyster and the Partner's Network Railcard,
two purchases are necessary. I can live with that, though in the future
I think we'll see National Rail stations issuing Oyster cards, not
least because I'm sure they're losing ticket sales to TfL as passengers
catch-on to the benefits of Oyster.

Stu - only a partial answer to your questions. The upgrades to 1st
class, like all the Gold Card benefits, are only available in the
former NSE area (as specified on the map in the Network Railcard
leaflet - the Gold Card offers the same benefits *and* AIUI it's not
subject to the Mon-Fri £10 minimum fare that the Network Railcard
suffers from). I don't know if you can upgrade on board as with the
Weekend First arrangement on InterCity trains.

There's info on Gold Card benefits on these pages, though it is
insufficient to answer all the queries one may have:

http://www.swtrains.co.uk/ourservices/gold.asp
http://www.setrains.co.uk/SETrains/F...ketDetails.htm
http://www.thameslink.co.uk/main.php?page_id=148

Don't forget that on the annual cards, your best bet would be to use a rail
company which gives 52 weeks for the price of 40 (like Thameslink)

You can still just buy a zone 1-2 or zone 1-4 travelcard like this. Not sure
if they can also give you an oyster for this if bought at a suitable
station.

A.