Old June 3rd 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Wright Peter Wright is offline

Default is it called a running board?

wrote in news:1116689970.635729.200510
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I thought this was the "running card"? Originally paper pasted onto a
c.A5 bakerlite brown rectangle , later replaced by laminated clear
plastic. The running board ran along the sill of cars (the last UK Ford
so-fited being the Pilot).

I hated it when they started laminating the running card, because they were
then too thin to wedge behind the cab light in a RM, and they wouldn't stay
put in the 'tray' if you had the side window open. [What time do you have
Driver? No idea - I lost the running card coming over Vauxhall Bridge.]

Also, on a route operated by two garages, it was customary to make notes on
the card about buses from the 'other' garage. AL's 49 cards were covered in
useful information about (scheduled) short journeys operated by AK - who
would always venture to be trailing you (empty) by a couple of stops.

The laminated ones were also too soggy to use to nudge the radiator filler
cap on an RT.

Stop me....