Old August 21st 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
umpston umpston is offline

Default Fares From January 2004

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message ...

On this basis, surely the most pressing need for Oyster was never for
long-term season tickets at all, but for pre-pay customers?

I'm sure pre-pay customers are the main target - but, with a system so
complex, I think it makes good sense first to test it with a
relatively small group of customers in the way they are doing. By
gradually rolling-out ticket availability any major problems will,
hopefully, be dealt with without inconveniencing millions of people.
There would be nothing worse for customer-confidence in Oyster than
the whole ticketing system keeling over the day after the full-scale
launch (I'm not saying this won't happen though! - this is LUL after
all - but I wish them every success).

Actually, how will they administer this? Would you be able to decide you
want a one day travelcard before you set out, then arrange it online, then
get on at your local busstop, swipe the oyster, and not be charged for the
single bus journey?

I hope so - but there has been no announcemant to this effect.