Old August 21st 03, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stevie Stevie is offline

Default Fares From January 2004

umpston wrote:

Actually, how will they administer this? Would you be able to decide you
want a one day travelcard before you set out, then arrange it online, then
get on at your local busstop, swipe the oyster, and not be charged for the
single bus journey?

I hope so - but there has been no announcemant to this effect.

I doubt they'll do this, but probably the best way of doing pre-pay
would be similar to the congestion charge.

Basically, you register (and get your card etc.) and you go on buses,
tubes, trains etc. throughout the day. Then, you've got until 10pm that
day to call them and check you had enough credit on your account (or top
it up if you need more). If you don't pay by 10, the outstanding amount
is doubled. Don't pay by midnight then you've got a penalty fare
etc.etc. and your card is blocked until you payup. Actually, to make it
more in-line with the public transport system, it'll probably be best if
the times are something like don't pay by the time the last tube has
departed then it's doubled and don't pay before the first tube leaves
the next morning, then you've got a penalty fare.

How many different ways do they have for paying the CC? Txt, phonecall,
internet, phone kiosks, shops - I'm sure they could offer these
different channels for paying for travel tickets as well. So, you could
even go out for a drink and while your mate is getting the round in, you
could quickly top-up your card with a txt message to make sure you can
get the last tube home that night.

This will also improve passenger flows across the network at ticket
barriers etc. as you wont have the annoying persons-card-not-accepted
and having to fight your way back away from the gates during rushhour
when you've got a big crowd right behind you trying to get through the
barrier...

I'm sure there's plenty of reasons not to do this (for example, how
would you stop people from just re-registering with a different name or
details and never pay-up?), but it makes sense to me.