Old August 21st 03, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ben Nunn Ben Nunn is offline

Default Fares From January 2004

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Stevie ), in message
who said:
umpston wrote:

Actually, how will they administer this? Would you be able to
decide you want a one day travelcard before you set out, then
arrange it online, then get on at your local busstop, swipe the
oyster, and not be charged for the single bus journey?

I hope so - but there has been no announcemant to this effect.

I doubt they'll do this, but probably the best way of doing pre-pay
would be similar to the congestion charge.

Basically, you register (and get your card etc.) and you go on buses,
tubes, trains etc. throughout the day. Then, you've got until 10pm
that day to call them and check you had enough credit on your account
(or top
it up if you need more). If you don't pay by 10, the outstanding
amount
is doubled. Don't pay by midnight then you've got a penalty fare
etc.etc. and your card is blocked until you payup. Actually, to make
it more in-line with the public transport system, it'll probably be
best if the times are something like don't pay by the time the last
tube has departed then it's doubled and don't pay before the first
tube leaves
the next morning, then you've got a penalty fare.

All well and good, but would it charge you the best value fair - in most
cases where you make multiple journeys a travelcard - or would it just keep
adding up the ****ing 70ps and £2.30s and ****e all day, and then give you a
stupidly inflated bill in the evening?

BTN